Three St. Isidore parishioners were inducted into the Holy Name Society on the feast of the Holy Name of Jesus, January 3. The ceremony traces its roots to the Second Council of Lyons in 1274. Afterwards, Pope Gregory X ordered the Master General of the Dominican order, Blessed John of Vercelli, to preach devotion to the “Holy Name” across Europe. Soon numerous altars were built within Dominican Churches explicitly in the Honor of the Holy Name of Jesus.
Early in the 15th century, Didacus of Victoria, created a new organization named the “Society of the Holy Name of God.” Its purpose was to suppress the use of the name of God in profanity (cursing) by all men. Later in 1564, Pope Pius IV approved the society and especially recommended it to the laity. Further endorsement of the Society was made by Pope Benedict XIII in 1727, by merging two similar groups into the “Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus,”
Today, members must be practicing Catholics, over the age of 18, and should be devoted to the Holy Name of Jesus. They should frequent the confessional, receive Holy Communion regularly, read Sacred Scripture frequently, and lead their families, friends and coworkers to Jesus Christ by the example of prayer, piety and by acts of charity.
The Holy Name Society (HNS) assists the parish by performing the fifteen Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy. The HNS here includes 34 members. Many participate as ushers and Safety Team members.